The Ultimate Detox Water
by Jasmine McNenny on Jul 06, 2015
Lemon Ginger Water
Looking for a cleanse? Not only is lemon and ginger a classic flavor combination, it’s a perfect marriage for a powerful detox. We know that lemon water has many powerful benefits, including alkalizing properties and the ability to help clear problem skin, but what is so great about lemon and ginger together?
- Alkalizing: Lemon is a natural alkalizer which is good for reducing acidity in the body. Having a more “base" ph level in the body reduces inflammation and can lower your risk for cancer.
- Cleansing: Both lemon and ginger have cleansing properties that remove toxins in the bladder, colon, and liver. Lemon ginger water rehydrates the body while cleaning out toxins and jumpstarting the metabolism.
- Weight loss: In addition to speeding up your metabolism, the alkaline in lemon programs the body to make weight loss easier. Ginger soothes the stomach and can reduce bloating giving you relief from a heavy meal and retained water weight.
- Digestion: Lemon ginger water is also the perfect start to any meal because both ingredients help with digestion. Lemon kick-starts the production of bile in the liver, while ginger stimulates a sluggish digestive tract. Both of these effects reduce the amount of toxins that build up in the colon.
Other benefits ginger brings to the mix:
- Reduces nausea: Acting as a calming agent, ginger has long been touted as a relief from nausea. This makes it a great natural option for tummy aches and morning sickness alike.
- Anti-inflammatory: Compounds in ginger called ginerols that inhibit the production of nitric acid, and help to suppress inflammation.
- Antioxidant: Ginger has a high antioxidant value, which combats free-radicals that cause damage to cells and lead to premature aging.
- Fights bacteria: Oral bacteria which causes gum disease are particularly vulnerable to the bacteria-fighting properties of ginger.
Bonus benefit– both lemon and ginger water are chock full of vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy skin. Combine this with the hydrating effect of water and a morning detox, and your skin will capture that dewy glow.
Lemon ginger water is delicious as an iced drink or a warm tea. Though most detox plans call for abstaining from added sugars, if you’re looking for general health benefits, you can add a little natural sweetness with honey or agave nectar. For some extra flavor, you can add in mint, cucumber, or strawberry. Whether it’s for a cleanse or as part of a new diet, lemon ginger infused water fits perfectly into any health plan.
For an easy way to add ginger to your water, check out the new Zing Anything Grater accessory designed to fit the Citrus Zinger water infusion bottle.
Photos: Amber Patrick / aterrormusical photography